Besigye remains in Intensive Care Unit as Court awaits medical report on fitness to stand trial 

Veteran opposition leader Dr. Kizza Besigye remains admitted in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) at Mulago National Referral Hospital following his collapse during a High Court session earlier this week, as authorities

Kampala, Uganda — August 1, 2026

Veteran opposition leader Dr. Kizza Besigye remains admitted in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) at Mulago National Referral Hospital following his collapse during a High Court session earlier this week, as authorities await a medical report on his condition.

Besigye, who is facing treason charges, collapsed on Wednesday while appearing before Justice Emmanuel Baguma after objecting to the appointment of state-funded lawyers to represent him. Court witnesses said he repeatedly protested the arrangement before losing consciousness.

He was first attended to by prison officers and medical personnel before being transferred to Mbuya Military Hospital and later moved to Mulago National Referral Hospital, where he remains under close monitoring.

As of Saturday, no official medical update had been issued by Mulago Hospital or the Uganda Prisons Service, leaving his family, supporters and political allies awaiting details about his health status.

His wife, Winnie Byanyima, the Executive Director of UNAIDS, said Besigye was unconscious and unresponsive when he arrived at the hospital. She added that he had requested to be treated by his personal doctor rather than government medical personnel.

Besigye’s sister, Dr. Olive Kobusingye, was later granted access to the ICU after initially being denied entry while he was still at the High Court.

Meanwhile, senior members of the People’s Front for Freedom (PFF), including Deputy Secretary General Harold Kaija, Kampala Deputy Lord Mayor Doreen Nyanjura and mobilisation chief Ingrid Turinawe, were reportedly unable to visit him after hospital authorities restricted access to the ICU.

The High Court has adjourned the treason case to August 4 and directed the Uganda Prisons Service to provide a detailed medical report indicating Besigye’s condition and whether he is medically fit to continue participating in the trial.

Besigye, a four-time presidential candidate and long-time political challenger to President Yoweri Museveni, is charged alongside Obeid Lutale and others with allegedly plotting to overthrow the government. The accused have denied the charges.

The incident has reignited debate over detainees’ access to independent medical care, legal representation of choice, and transparency in handling the health of high-profile prisoners. Opposition leaders and civil society groups have called for more information about Besigye’s condition.

The matter remains under close public attention as the court awaits the medical report.

Related Articles

Back to top button
error: Content is unprotected !!