Tragedy occurred in Buyende district after a woman was electrocuted while spreading her wet clothes on metallic lines.
According to eyewitnesses, the deceased who is a 24-year-old Evelyn Namulondo, a resident of Iringa village in Nkondo sub-county, recounted hearing a loud blast before seeing Namulondo collapse to the ground.
They said that some of the residents acted fast and switched off the electricity to prevent further harm, as the accident happened in a densely populated area.
Zainab Nabirye, who witnessed the incident, explained that “the area has experienced minor accidents, mostly involving children, over the past three years.”
“However, because these incidents were not fatal little has been done to ensure safe electricity connections for the community,” Nabirye highlighted.
Joseph Muziru, who operates a kiosk in the area, said that many people have opted for underground power connections, which pose a safety risk.
“The culprits often use exposed wires to connect power unofficially within the community. There’s a need of addressing this issue to prevent further fatalities,”
Fred Byabagambi, the Nkondo LC III chairperson, explained that they have been actively educating communities about the dangers of illegal power connections.
However, since the connections are relatively inexpensive, some individuals continue to disregard safety warnings.
Byabagambi noted that they are collaborating with police detectives to investigate illegal suppliers of underground electricity.
The Busoga North Police Spokesperson, Michael Kasadha, confirmed the incident, saying that detectives have inspected the crime scene and the deceased’s body has been released to her relatives for burial.