The corpse of the Private Wilson Sabiiti who murdered the minister for labour Col. Rtd Charles Okello Engola will be handed to the family once investigations are concluded, the UPDF spokesperson, Brig Gen Felix Kulayigye, has told Charmar News.
In an interview with Charmar News, Brg Gen Kulayigye appealed to the family of Sabiiti to be patient till the commission of inquiry which was set to investigate the case concludes investigations.
“We understand what the family is going through but let them be patient,” he said, adding that the commission investing circumstance in which Pte Sabiiti shot and killed his principal is soon finishing its work.
He noted that UPDF will also compensate the late minister’s family, as directed by the president. Uganda People’s Defense Forces Act 2005 regulates the conduct of soldiers in public and the handling of firearms.
On Friday last week, during a Kabarole District council sitting, some councillors demanded to know why the government keeps Sabiiti’s body. Yet, it has not indicated to his family when it will be released.
“Much as he committed a crime, he deserves a decent burial. We need an explanation of why the body is delaying. We are also mourning since he died on duty while wearing a uniform,” Kasenda Sub-county councillor, Gideon Ruta said.
President Museveni told mourners at the official funeral service that the killing of Col Engola, an accomplished officer and model regime cadre, by his military bodyguard, was a source of deep embarrassment to the army.
He then asked UPDF to carry out MATOPUT, the ritual of paying cows to the late Engola’s Family.