Uganda confirms three new Ebola cases as total rises to five
Health officials said the woman traveled from Arua to Entebbe aboard a chartered flight before seeking treatment at a private hospital in Kampala on May 10, 2026. “She was initially treated and discharged in good condition on 14th May 2026, after which she traveled back to the DRC,” the Ministry said in the statement.

The Ministry of Health Uganda has confirmed three new cases of Ebola Virus Disease (EVD), bringing the total number of confirmed infections in the country to five.
In a press statement issued on Friday, the Ministry said the new cases include a Ugandan driver who transported the country’s first confirmed Ebola patient and a Ugandan health worker who was exposed while caring for the same patient. Both are currently receiving treatment.
According to the Ministry, the two individuals had already been identified as known contacts and were under active follow-up by surveillance teams before testing positive.
The third confirmed case involves a Congolese woman resident in the Democratic Republic of the Congo who entered Uganda from the DRC while presenting mild abdominal symptoms.
Health officials said the woman traveled from Arua to Entebbe aboard a chartered flight before seeking treatment at a private hospital in Kampala on May 10, 2026.
“She was initially treated and discharged in good condition on 14th May 2026, after which she traveled back to the DRC,” the Ministry said in the statement.
The Ministry revealed that investigations into the case intensified after authorities received a tip-off from the pilot who had airlifted her. Surveillance teams later retrieved a sample which subsequently tested positive for Ebola Virus Disease.
Officials said all contacts linked to the confirmed cases have since been identified and are being closely monitored by response teams.
The latest development raises concerns about cross-border transmission and possible exposure involving transport and healthcare workers, categories often considered high-risk during infectious disease outbreaks.
The Ministry, however, urged the public to remain calm while continuing to observe all recommended preventive measures.
“Report any suspected Ebola symptoms immediately to the nearest health facility. Early treatment greatly improves chances of survival,” the Ministry advised.
Health authorities said they are intensifying surveillance, contact tracing, case management, and public awareness campaigns aimed at containing the outbreak and preventing further spread of the virus.
The statement was signed by Prof. Charles Olaro, who reaffirmed the government’s commitment to protecting public health and strengthening outbreak response measures across the country.
Uganda has previously experienced and successfully contained several Ebola outbreaks, with health experts often crediting rapid surveillance systems, contact tracing, and community awareness campaigns for limiting transmission.



